I'm a Mormon.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Genuine...Good...Loving People

Sometimes I look around this crazy world and wonder if there are any Genuine, Good and Loving people here anymore. I can say that indeed there are people in this world who are all of these things and more!
We received an invitation to go to a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for some wonderful family friends, George and Sylvia Jutila. They are in our Church ward back home in Cali, but were having a second party here in Utah, and Sylvia sent us an invitation. It was awesome to see them and to visit for a bit. Part of their celebration included scrapbooks of messages and photos that were shared by friends and family. It was neat to look through and see pictures and stories from other great friends back home. We miss them all so much! We filled out a card with our name, location and a favorite story about the Jutilas and then we had our picture taken...the boys even smiled, I think. It is so hard to think of just one story when thinking of George and Sylvia, and that seemed to be the case for many friends, in looking at the scrapbooks. All in all these are two Genuine, Good and Loving people. And these are two people who have used these attributes to raise beautiful children who are raising beautiful grandchildren. They have touched many lives over the years and the effects are long reaching. We are truly blessed to know and associate with them!
My two favorite memories of Sylvia, especially, demonstrate just how far reaching the effects can be. It is because Sylvia sent missionaries to my neighbor's house to teach both my neighbor and myself about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that I am who and where I am today. It is because of that act of kindness and love that I strive to become who and what I know I can become. Thank you Sylvia! The other great thing that Sylvia, and George, did for me was to help support me when I served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. After I was baptized, I wasn't sure that I would serve a mission, I really didn't know. One Sunday at the end of our 3 hour meeting block, Sylvia approached me and said; "Sarah, if you decide to serve a mission, we want to help support you." I don't remember how I responded, other than a simple "thank you," but I do remember thinking that I wasn't even sure that I wanted to serve a mission. Well, it wasn't long after that short conversation that I knew I was supposed to serve, and Sylvia and George did help support me. I remember Sylvia gave my mom a letter just telling her about the way Sylvia had felt when her own daughters had left to serve missions. That letter would have been support enough! Because of their support, I was able to serve a mission, and I was able to teach people about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I met and taught many people in that 18 months, and hopefully the effects will be long lasting. I know that the effects are long lasting for me and my children...and will continue to be for generations to come.
So, I want to again say THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, to George and Sylvia Jutila for your love, goodness, and genuine caring for others! We are so blessed to know you!!!

1 comment:

Dustin'n'April Strickland said...

I like your blog Sarah. And I'm still jealous of your pretty name.